The eagles were mounted in 1898. It is unknown how many eagles there originally were nor who sculpted them. Each eagle has a fourteen-foot wingspan and weighs a ton and a half. They were removed in 1910 when the building was razed to make room for the present-day Grand Central Terminal. The eagles were moved the various places:
Two eagles ended in Mount Vernon. One was sold to Daily News photographer David McLane in 1966 and the other was removed to an unknown location. The rest of the eagles are placed as follows:
Capuchin Seminary in Garrison, NY, overlooking the Hudson River
St. Basil’s Academy in Cold Spring, NY houses two eagles
The Vanderbilt Museum in Northport, NY houses two eagles at its entrance
A house in Bronxville, NY
A private estate in Kings Point, NY
The Philipse Manor-North Tarrytown Railroad Station, NY
David McLane wanted the eagle he purchased to be placed in a location where it could be seen and enjoyed by the public. In 1985, the town of Shandaken, NY adopted the eagle. There was a dedication ceremony for the newly restored eagle on August 23, 1986. McLane went to great lengths to research the eagles history. He contacted museums, libraries, and organizations, but never solved the mystery behind who created the Eagles.
On March 23, 1997, the Westchester Gannet Newspapers published a story about the Bronxville eagle. The writer mentioned there may have been eleven original eagles. It seemed the eleventh eagle may be located right in Tarrytown. The owner of the property of the time. John Daniell Jr. When he died, the property was sold to John Perry. After further investigation, this specific eagle was not a Grand Central Station eagle.
The Bronxville eagle was moved from its home and installed at the Lexington Avenue entrance to Grand Central Terminal in 1998. The Garrison eagle was also moved and was installed above the terminal’s southwest entrance at 42nd Street and Vanderbilt Avenue.
Morrison, David D. The Cast Iron Eagles of Grand Central Station. Cannonball Publications, 1998.