The East Farmingdale Volunteer Fire Company was organized in 1926. The first Chief was Joseph Pfost, Sr., who served from December of 1926 to December of 1927. The department was created when the East Farmingdale area would no longer be protected under the contract by the Fire Department of the Incorporated Village of Farmingdale. The Company works under the auspices of the Town of Babylon.
The Fire Company was able to obtain a loan from the First National Bank of Farmingdale for $5,000 to erect a fire house on Maplewood Avenue. At the time, they only had a hose wagon for their only apparatus. The original name of the Company was the East End Volunteer Fire Company; its current name was changed in 1959. The fire house was moved to an expanded headquarters on Conklin Street which can house twelve pieces of fire equipment, kitchen facilities, a recreation room, and a second floor containing a meeting hall and offices. Two sub-stations were also built; one on Wellwood Avenue and the other on Melville Road.
The first official meeting was held on September 25, 1926. They were granted a Certificate of Incorporation on August 13, 1926. At the October meeting, it was decided that the uniform would only be worn for Company social affairs, parades, and funerals. Their first fire was recorded on December 13, 1926.
At the May 7, 1958 meeting, a motion was made to form a committee to look into changing their name. It was announced at the February 2, 1959 meeting that 100% of the membership had signed the resolution for the name change. The name change was made official on May 4, 1959.
A History of the East Farmingdale Fire Company 1926-1995.